9th of November 2018
The LXD team is very excited to announce the release of LXD 3.7!
We started off this release cycle by fixing a number of issues and edge cases surrounding our recently introduced projects feature as more and more of our users started making use of it.
But that's not to say that we've spent the entire past month fixing bugs and LXD 3.7 also debuts support for container refreshes, got a few tweaks to our TLS setup, improved exec operations and an extra VXLAN configuration key.
On top of the project fixes, we've also done a number of improvements to our database, logging and fixed quite a few other bugs.
It is now possible to tell LXD to refresh a container based on another container, either locally or remotely. On the command line, this is controlled by a new
--refresh argument to
This can be used to setup a backup LXD server that will then get regular updates from production servers, keeping the containers and their snapshots in sync until such time as they need to be restore or just started from the backup server.
The initial copy uses our usual migration code, subsequent refreshes will then compare the list of snapshots, delete any snapshot which was removed from the source or which appears to have been changed and then sync the missing snapshots and container state using rsync.
Switch default key type to EC384¶
LXD has always used RSA4096 has the algorithm and key strength of choice for its private keys. This has unfortunately cause a number of issues on some CPU architectures where RSA can get very very slow.
The switch to using an elliptic-curve key by default fixes that issue by considerably reducing the generation time without compromising on private key security.
Note that this is only used for newly generated keys, existing users will keep using their RSA private keys. It's also worth noting that LXD will happily let you generate your own private key and certificate and just put them into place on the filesystem for it to use.
New environment variable to control cipher selection¶
While all our own image servers and internal communications support modern ciphers, it's been brought to our attention that some corporate environments will intercept TLS traffic through their proxy and using a company CA, terminate the TLS connection on the proxy to inspect the traffic.
This would work fine so long as the company CA is trusted on the system and LXD is configured to use the company proxy. Unfortunately, it appears that many such proxies also do not support the modern ciphers that LXD requires, effectively causing all outgoing TLS connections to fail.
For those environments, we have now added a new
LXD_INSECURE_TLS environment variable which is respected by both
lxc and that will instruct LXD to relax the ciphers requirements, using the default TLS settings from Go rather than using our restricted set of trusted ciphers.
Added metadata to
Ever wondered what that
exec session is about in
lxc operation list?
Well, now LXD lets you find that out by looking at some extra metadata that's recorded as part of the
stgraber@castiana:~$ lxc exec xenial -- sleep 30 &  25911 stgraber@castiana:~$ lxc operation list +--------------------------------------+-----------+-------------------+---------+------------+----------------------+ | ID | TYPE | DESCRIPTION | STATUS | CANCELABLE | CREATED | +--------------------------------------+-----------+-------------------+---------+------------+----------------------+ | 274ab284-ed07-4834-b3f5-6ec1d7cf3b74 | WEBSOCKET | Executing command | RUNNING | NO | 2018/11/09 04:20 UTC | +--------------------------------------+-----------+-------------------+---------+------------+----------------------+ stgraber@castiana:~$ lxc operation show 274ab284-ed07-4834-b3f5-6ec1d7cf3b74 id: 274ab284-ed07-4834-b3f5-6ec1d7cf3b74 class: websocket description: Executing command created_at: 2018-11-08T23:20:30.323852365-05:00 updated_at: 2018-11-08T23:20:30.323852365-05:00 status: Running status_code: 103 resources: containers: - /1.0/containers/xenial metadata: command: - bash environment: HOME: /root LANG: C.UTF-8 PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/snap/bin TERM: xterm USER: root fds: "0": d79593f74c3e566987a3bdb109d2f4102aea5915ad344f64ea665082c1a3177e control: 0ed5ba645a9f6f0b2956282bba274ce015407a6309e1a9ec1a897fab0483d6fe interactive: true may_cancel: false err: ""
This records the command that was executed, its environment and whether it was run interactively or not.
New VXLAN TTL configuration key¶
tunnel.NAME.ttl key has been added to LXD managed bridges.
This lets you configure the TTL to use for multicast VXLAN tunnels (default is 1).
- backup: Allow backups to not expire
- client: Always use the "do()" wrapper
- client: Fix cancelation of image download
- client: Fix error handling in operations
- client: Fix URLs with missing project/target
- doc: Add the appropriate titles to some documents
- doc: Bump to 1.10 or higher everywhere
- doc: Update build instruction
- doc: Update cloud-init network documentation
- i18n: Update translations from weblate
- i18n: Update translation templates
- lxc: Switch all progress op handling to cancelable
- lxc/copy: --container-only is meaningless for snapshots
- lxd: Register background tasks as operations
- lxd: Remove expired container backups
- lxd: Rework task handling
- lxd/backups: Set default expiry for backups
- lxd/checkfeature: Check for vfs3 fscaps support
- lxd/checkfeature: Don't log error on missing feature
- lxd/containers: Add ContainerListExpanded to load containers and expand their configs/devices
- lxd/containers: Associate a container with the profile from its own project
- lxd/containers: Consider the container's project when loading profiles
- lxd/containers: Detect root disk pool changes
- lxd/containers: Expand container devices and configs from the associated project
- lxd/containers: Fix bad check for recursive mounts
- lxd/containers: Fix cluster shutdown
- lxd/containers: Fix lxc exec when using a container inside a project
- lxd/containers: Fix missing project in args
- lxd/containers: Improve error messages
- lxd/containers: Make containers on other nodes visible also in the non-default project
- lxd/containers: Prefix the container name with the project name when invoking forkconsole
- lxd/containers: Prevent duplicate profiles
- lxd/containers: Use liblxc mount injection api
- lxd/daemon: Clarify early loggging
- lxd/daemon: Don't expire lxd.log by accident
- lxd/daemon: Don't mention MAAS unless configured
- lxd/daemon: Improve logging of inherited fds
- lxd/daemon: Improve logging of kernel features
- lxd/db: Add logic to the db package to expand devices
- lxd/db: Add logic to the db package to load and expand profiles
- lxd/db: Detect and shrink large boltdb files
- lxd/db: Fix bad limits.cpu in test
- lxd/db: Fix listing container backups
- lxd/db: Increase database timeout when creating indexes in db update 12
- lxd/db: Increase go-dqlite client timeout when not-clustered
- lxd/db: Make the db mapper code generator handle compound natural keys
- lxd/db: Sanitize references to containers table
- lxd/db: Send raft/dqlite logging to debug
- lxd/db: Speed up execution of update from v11 of the db
- lxd/db: Wire expand config logic fromt the db package
- lxd/db: Wire expand devices logic fromt the db package
- lxd/events: Prevent event listeners from lying around even after Disconnect()
- lxd/images: Auto-update images also in projects other than the default one
- lxd/images: Avoid downloading an image twice if it's already in another project
- lxd/images: Link an image to a project when downloading it to init a container
- lxd/images: Support creating project-bound container using an image on another node
- lxd/main_forkmount: Use pkg-config
- lxd/main_forknet: Simplify getifaddrs
- lxd/migration: Use current idmap instead of next
- lxd/networks: Include containers from all projects in the UsedBy field of a network
- lxd/patches: Add missing transition for symlinks
- lxd/profiles: Fix project-aware URIs in the UsedBy field of api.Profile
- lxd/projects: Fix clustered exec/console
- lxd/projects: Fix profile updates
- lxd/projects: Propagate events about all projects to all cluster nodes
- lxd/projects: Re-create the project default profile when turning on the project profiles feature
- lxd/storage: Add StorageVolumeIsAvailable to check if a Ceph volume can be attached
- lxd/storage: Destroy the correct ZFS volume when deleting a container in a project
- lxd/storage: Fix importing preseed dump
- lxd/storage: Improve loop device errors
- lxd/storage: Make custom volumes visible from non-default projects
- lxd/storage: Retry loop device allocation on EBUSY
- lxd/storage: Wire StorageVolumeIsAvailable to containerValidDevices
- rsync: Tweak transfer options (introduce delete & compress)
- scripts: Add 'project' to bash completion
- shared: Add limits.cpu validator
- shared/idmap: Use global variable for vfs3 fcaps support
- shared/logging: Improve logfile output
- shared/network: Allow TLS1.3
- tests: Add integration test for CEPH cross-node volumes
- tests: Small unrelated cleanup in projects integration test
- travis: Bump Go versions and use '.x' to always get latest patch versions
Try it for yourself¶
This new LXD release is already available for you to try on our demo service.
The release tarballs can be found on our download page.